US Defense Chief Ashton Carter in Erbil 17/12/2015

US Defense Chief Ashton Carter in Erbil 17/12/2015

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region – An expected offensive to push Islamic State (ISIS) forces from Mosul in northern Iraq figured in talks between Kurdistan Region President Masoud Barzani and visiting US Secretary of Defense Ash Carter, the Kurdish presidency said in a statement Thursday. “Secretary Carter conveyed President Obama's message to President Barzani that the United States will continue to support the Kurdistan Region,” the statement said. It also announced that Carter has reportedly called allies for more support to Kurdish fighters fighting ISIS. “The two also spoke of the upcoming operations, most notably the Musol operation," the statement added. Carter was welcomed by the Kurdish president and other top officials in Erbil, after meeting authorities in Baghdad, where he arrived following talks with NATO ally Turkey. The defense secretary also told Kurdish officials that US-Kurdistan relations have been further strengthened since ISIS launched its war against Kurdistan in August 2014. Barzani expressed his pleasure at Washington’s ongoing support for Peshmerga forces, and highlighted the importance of the US role in the war. The Kurdish Pehmerga are expected be part of a force to liberate Mosul, the city that has been ISIS’ stronghold in Iraq ever since the militants captured it from Iraqi forces in June last year. No timeframe has been announced for the offensive. Speaking at the Pentagon over the weekend, Carter pledged stronger coalition impact against ISIS in the coming weeks. He announced on Tuesday that Washington is sending more special forces to help the Peshmerga and Iraqi fighters. “These special operators will over time be able to conduct raids, free hostages, gather intelligence, and capture ISIL leaders," he said, using an alternative name for ISIS.