Raffi Torres Devastating Elbow to Jordan Eberle

Raffi Torres Devastating Elbow to Jordan Eberle

Torres suspension a blow to checking line! Banned third-line forward won't be available until Game 3 of playoffs' first round Alain Vigneault might want to think again before using the word "logic" to answer a question about the NHL's disciplinary process. No less than five minutes after the Vancouver Canucks head coach made the comment, reports surfaced that Raffi Torres had been suspended for four games for his hit to the head of Edmonton Oilers rookie Jordan Eberle on Tuesday. With just two games left in the Canucks' regular-season, the third-line winger will be unavailable until Game 3 of the first-round of the playoffs. "Logic would say that they would've told us before," said Vigneault, following the Canucks' morning skate at Rogers Arena on Thursday. "Wouldn't that have been the logical thing to do if he was going to be suspended? That's why I'm assuming he's not." A clearly disappointed and angered Mike Gillis addressed the media shortly after the announcement was made official. The decision leaves the Canucks without two-thirds of their top checking line. Vancouver dressed just 11 forwards in their regular-season home finale against the Minnesota Wild on Thursday. "I strongly disagree with it but we're going to move on here and get ready for the playoffs," said the Canucks general manager. "I thought it was a hockey play." Torres was given a five-minute major for elbowing and a game misconduct for the hit that came late in the third period of Vancouver's 2-0 loss to Edmonton at Rexall Place. Eberle was reaching for the puck near the corner boards when Torres's elbow made contact with the forward's head. Eberle was not injured on the play. Torres defended the hit after the game and hasn't changed his opinion in the two days since. The conference call early on Thursday lasted about 10 minutes with Torres, his agent and Gillis on the line with the NHL's czar of discipline, Colin Campbell. Torres said any discipline would be a bitter pill to swallow. "After looking at it more, he puts his hand up at the last second," said Torres, 29. "He knows I'm coming. He was out there for a pretty long shift and he's reaching for pucks. What I'm doing is trying to finish my hit. It's a good, clean hit. I have had nothing but positive feedback from everyone who has talked to me. They are people who, if they thought it was dirty, would have told me." Canucks teammates were shocked by the length of suspension. "I'm very surprised," said Alex Burrows. "Really, it wasn't that bad."